AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Friday, August 23, 2019

THE 3 EXERCISES THAT GOT ME CHERRY RIPE FOR FINALS

My long term/regular readers will know I did a pretty serious knee injury 4 years ago in the last game of the season of which we were raging favourites to win it all (...we didn't!)

I've never had it checked out and rehabbed it all myself because I wasn't having surgery regardless even though there's a good chance I did an ACL and some other stuff at the time.

It was the exact same mechanism of Jarman Impey here except I was kicking on the run and was pushed from behind as I was in the air just after I kicked it.

Fast forward to now and I've now got a pretty dominant right leg as far as sprinting and jumping is concerned and during each season since my right hamstring has presented with a neural sensation down my right hamstring for the last month or so.

I knew it wasn't a tear or anything and it didn't hinder me a hellava lot but I could always feel it while getting up in the morning, during games and everything in between.

During that time I tried staying off it more than usual, foam rolling and other bits and pieces but nothing really helped

It wasn't until Wednesday this week that I remembered something that I discovered but never really went further into called PRI which is short for the Postural Restoration Institute.

It's pretty complicated stuff but to put it simply, its premise is that body is not symmetrical as there are different "things" on each side of the body which in turn affects resting posture and function.

For example the left diaphragm is smaller and is not held accountable for respiration as much as the right side is, and therefore the body can become "twisted" where your right hip can be rotated/sit a little further in front of your left hip.

In the chest cavity you have a heart on 1 side and nothing on the other which is another example.

You can read about the basic principles of PRI here.

So I came across this about 5 years never got enough info/was convinced enough/or set the time aside to really see how it worked to give it a chance.

Come Wednesday and having trouble completing 20m sprints at full speed on Tuesday, things were getting desperate.

Finally my brain ticked over and put up PRI as an option so I did quick search regarding right hamstring issues and PRI and found some exercises to try.

Here are the 3 exercises I found and used on Wednesday:





As you can see they're not your everyday exercises but by god in the 5mins it took me to run through them once, my neural sensation was gone.

I did another 2 circuits of it and felt like new.

Thursday I felt a tiny bit of the sensation come back during the day so before training last night/Thursday, I did another 3 circuits and again felt good as new.

Just before I joined the main group I was chatting to a teammate who's got a niggle about the rehab stuff I set for him through Posterior Pelvic Tilts and my right glute cramped up from the the extreme activation it was able to get from the exercises.

With new found activation comes new found use of those muscles (right glute max) and thus a bit of soreness today as a result.

I did another 3 rounds of it today in the videos above and will again do 3 rounds of it pre-game tomorrow.

Last night at training I was pumped though being able to run ailment free for the first time in weeks at any speed I wanted.

Elimination final tomorrow so hopefully my next post is not a season reflection piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment