AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Friday, February 25, 2022

FOOTY SPECIFIC SPRINT TRAINING PROGRAM

 

Let's start with a very quick theory lesson.

In team sports you have what's called mechanical output and operational output.

Mechanical output refers to what you can do, in this case how fast you can sprint, unopposed with zero obstacles or constraints such as other players and the ball.

A basic 20m sprint is a prime example of this as you can simply put all of your focus and energy into covering that 20m straight line in as little time as possible.

Operational output is how can you can display speed in the context of your sport where now opposition players and the ball and a host of other things now dictate how you fast you can and need to sprint at any given time.

In this program I'm going to focus purely on linear sprint speed when training on your own, like I do most of the time.

The first step is to perform some traditional 20m sprints as in the video above.

I time EVERY sprint I do in my training with 5m split time markers, which are the hats you can see in the videos.

I have a timer app on my phone that I use to time each sprint at the completion of each session but if you want immediate feedback, you could easily time them in your rest periods, which I have done in the past.

In this session I did a 5-10 warm up but feel free to warm up how you like as I'm not much of a warm up guy and sometimes it's as short as 2 - 3 progressive speed sprints then into full speed but don't make your warm up your workout!

Once you go to time your sprints after the session, these 3 sprints will give you a top end baseline to use to see how you're performing in the footy specific sprints to come.

Here are the other 5 sprints I did after my linear 20m sprints...

For full access to this training program register for a level 2 membership at https://aussierulestraining.com/membership-account/membership-levels/.

No comments:

Post a Comment