AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

4 SCHOOL FOOTY TRAINING ACTIVITIES I'VE USED THIS YEAR

I've been incredibly busy with school holidays and thus peak coaching work so I haven't posted for a while so here's a free post on how this year I've taken the jump into coaching school footy in the AGSV system which I've thoroughly enjoyed.

I'll post all of these training sessions like this going forward but they'll be part of the level 3 membership but will show how most of these are progressed as well as other team tactical stuff we've tried to implement during the season - all which can help your own coaching now and in the future.

I'm in a co-coaching position in my main team (senior B's) but I also help out with other training sessions where they need an extra coach so have also trained year 7 - 10 teams as well as assisted with coaching in year 8 boys and one of the junior girls teams as well.

The very first training session I was on my own with the senior B and C's on my own and not knowing anyone there at all where we had about 30 players which was also the very same day they all came back for term 2.

On Wednesdays we train off the main campus so the players get a bus from school to the ground and we only really get 60 - 70mins of training time by the time they get there and then have to be gone which limits us to 3 - 4 activities/session.

Based on all the uncertainty above I didn't have anything too complex planned so here what I did that very first session:

RICOCHET

No one knows me, I don't know none of them and some of them barely know each other so lets play a simple game to get the ball rolling with limited talking and get some smiles happening considering we have a motivation continuum within the group of extremely high to non-existent.

You've all probably played this before so it's just 2 teams, 1 football each, both teams simply handball to each other and try and make the balls collide in the middle and whoever catches a ball of the collision gets a point.

 

4v1 RONDO CORNERS

Again nothing groundbreaking so it's a 4v1 with all offensive players in a corner of a smallish square against the single defender. Offensive players can only handball to corner teammates on their left or right, not over or through the middle. It's really the defender who makes this activity what it's meant to be (quick/clean hands and decision making) so make the scoring defense-bias as in who can intercept the most balls and keep a a score sheet to build competitiveness (I didn't though!).


COLLINGWOOD KICK

I saw this kicking activity on the Collingwood Twitter page and although it's a cone to cone drill, it does still use some game representative information being the man on the mark and the new rules in regards to them.

This didn't work too well as there were more 3rds players then 2nds players and as I found out, most of them barely play any sport at all, let alone community football, and are simply here because they literally have to be, with sport being part of their compulsory curriculum.

This would work well with higher level players though but another interesting thing I found out is that they don't even play the stand rule so I wouldn't even have used it if I had known that!

Here it is anyway:


5 STAR HANDBALL GOAL KICKING RACE

It got to the point where teaching anything was not gonna happen and they all just kept kicking balls away to the goals so let's get some of that in and finish up so we did the old 5 star handball in a tight group, blow the whistle then both teams have a pot at the goals and see who wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment