AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Monday, April 13, 2020

FOOTY SECRETS #7 - WATCH/STUDY THE GAME


2004 was my last season back in the country before moving to Melbourne where I had 4 years off from playing football of any kind.

In that time I watched so much footy is was ridiculous.

From all that watching I unconsciously picked up/learnt many 1%er type aspects of footy that when I returned to playing in 2009, I was able to kick 2 goals in my first 7 - 8mins of my first practice game.

I can't actually tell you what I learnt in that time but it definitely enabled me to pick up where I left off almost immediately while also providing mea buffer until my conditioning got up to scratch.

As my readings have shifted towatrds to coaching over strength and conditoning the last 2 years or so the most important thing I've come to realise is how much the football fraternity, especially at local/amateur level, overrate the physical aspect of the game.

I am by no means saying that not being able to run at all doesn't matter but there is definitely a point where players can be "fit enough" and only tactival/technical mastery will take any further.

A few years ago I started doing some ALW insight posts on short passages of play that I noticed while watching games and giving my opinion on what could and/or should have happened.

The Melbourne metro league I play in started filming all senior matches last year enabling teams do go back and study aspects of the game.

Watching passages of play of myself there were plenty of times where during the game it seemed like I was under immediate pressure but on film not so much.

This can easily show players who often cough the ball up, can most of the time have more time then they think.

From a team perspective it can also show that better directional talk could have helped the player quicken up their decision making.

The potential benefits are endless if you can study your games on film regardless of the angle.
Fox Footy's 360 I think usually had David King showing game film on a Wednesday and my favourite On The Couch is also pretty good with the game vision it shows from time to time.

There's also a website at www.theshinboner.com that posts game film which is also very good.

Below are links to all my AFLW Insight posts and I in my opinion most of us are closer to AFLW in the style of play of local/amateuyr football then AFL and the game is also "slow enough" where you can see tactical things happening and not happening where in thge AFL it's so quick it's hard to see in real game time.

I have no doubt that you would have seen yourself in plenty of these situations before and will do again in the future and you can only reposnd quickly to what you've been exposed to before.

Watch these clips, note the lessons from then, own the learning process from each and it will translate to games when we start back up even if you don't notice it at the time.

Here are the clips:

If you would like to access this secret and the others then register at https://aussierulestraining.com/membership-account/membership-levels/.

No comments:

Post a Comment