AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Friday, October 3, 2014

Training Block 1 Finished!

In my previous post I talked about my first training block in preparation for season 2015.

I finished it up today and not a moment too soon!

Being the dickhead I am I decided to squash a 4 week program, with already great volume in it, into under 2 weeks.

It was the 10,000 Swings program by Dan John which has you doing 500 swings per session x 4 - 5 sessions for 4 - 5 weeks, depending on your training frequency.




I have my training perfectly timed (as you'll soon see) up to Christmas so I only had a 2 week block to use thanks to my late season finish and the fact that my now 36 year old body needed some time off.

The shoulder injury I had which meant I couldn't really squat or bench forced me into the swings program but I wanted to do it anyway, I just would have liked more then 2 weeks to do it in!

Anyway here's how my 2 weeks looked:

Day 1 - 720 reps
Day 2 - 820 reps
Day 3 - 1000 reps
Day 4 - 1000 reps
Day 5 - 1220 reps
Day 6 - 820 reps
Day 7 and 8 off - AFL Grand Final Day
Day 9 - 710 reps
Day 10 - 830 reps
Day 11 - 990 reps
Day 12 - 1160 reps
Day 13 - 730 reps

Total 10,000 ON THE DOT!!

The first 3 days left me with some pretty solid soreness through the glutes and hams but then that all magically evaporated come day 4 and I was left with some solid tiredness - capacity type work is not my forte - where I pretty much napped every training day, including today (2 -1/2hrs on the couch - good times when Archie's at daycare!

My weight and reps per set increased as I went through as conditioning plus the wanting to just get this shit finished as soon as I could took hold.

On day 1 I did sets of 30 - 50 reps at 80 - 90pds on the cable machine but in the last few days I was doing 200 rep sets at 150pds, 170 rep sets at 170pds and sets of 80 at 220pds.

What will this do for me you ask?

Well it provides me with crucial aerobic capacity work which I need probably more then anything else and if I don't have to run endless and boring km;s to do so then that's a win. My resting heart rate is about mid 60's (tested 66 on Thursday morning) so I'll retest that over the weekend as my slight training overreaching dies off. If I can get that to 60 or less I'll be in good shape going forwards.

The end range contractions for hamstrings should improve my max velocity potential once I start sprinting again (next training block). Again improving this without the stress of sprinting (even though I find max velocity sprinting way easier then anything metabolic related), then that's a bonus.

At 36 years old, if I can get improvement sin speed and endurance with minimal joint stress and impact wear and tear, not that I can't really handle it, the better I'll be.

It's the little things like that can make a huge impact on your training and keeping healthy for the entire year - I haven't missed a game of footy since I came back from layoff in 2009.

This makes my new manual must have as this literally walks you through whatever it is you need to do to go to the next level and get better each year rather then come back as same player you were the season prior. It's a full 12 month training manual so all your training stuff can be taken care of and you just have to show up, do it and go home! There is nothing, absolutely nothing, available like this.

I'll hopefully finish that up this weekend and release later next week so keep an eye out.

No comments:

Post a Comment