AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

TRAIN WHAT YOU DIDN'T GET IN THE GAME

If anyone played footy in Melbourne last weekend then you'll know it was nothing short of a shit storm the entire day.

In my own game we had 4 separate bouts of hail on a ground already covered with water and in the outer suburbs it was snowing - good god almighty.

Fair to say our game was a scrappy affair with a lot of acceleration sprints but because of the boggy ground, it was like running in soft sand with a 20kg back pack on - hence not a lot of max velocity was reached.

I was cooked by the game's end with heavy legs but not necessarily out of breath which was no good either.

Normally I am able to get a fair distance of max velocity speed running in on a Saturday and means I don't have to hit it to frequently during the season, and so I stick to more acceleration based sprint sessions during the week which also are easier to recover from then max velocity session.

The boggy grounds also meant that most of my runs were being powered through tension on Saturday and too much tension means one thing - muscle tears.

With a half decent day on Tuesday I hit the track for what I'll call relation runs.

I'd pulled up quite well from Saturday considering how I felt post-game which put max velocity sprinting, that I didn't get any of on Saturday, could get a look in.

NOTE - Max Speed needs to be trained every 5 - 8 days before it starts to dissipate

Now I might have felt fully recovered but at 40 I need to err on the side of caution so instead of going 100% max velocity, I went the relaxation run route which is 90 - 95% using a gradual build up so max velocity, or near max velocity was reached in all 4 sets, but only for 10 - 15m tops.

A session that ended in some nice times (fly 5m x .53secs + fly 10m x 1.07secs), not PB's but pretty good for the RPE I trained at.


The relaxation runs gives my muscles exposure to split second contract/relax work which is the prehab side of sprinting and why all players should do it each and every week.

Not all running needs to be maximal or exhausting - 99% of players need to do less of this running to actually make any progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment