AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Monday, June 3, 2019

LATE GAME HEROICS


Saturday just gone we played the undefeated top team for the 2nd time this season as there's only 8 teams in our comp.

In round 1 it was a total disaster for us.

We had I think 8 new players in the senior team.

We've had a totally new defence strategy we were trying to implement.

We were 4 down before half time including the captain and 2 vice captain's and our best run and carry player sitting at full forward for the 2nd half.

The scoreline was disappointing at best.

Fast forward 7 weeks later and we've won 5 on the trot and we now had them on our new home deck, totally the opposite of their paddock out in the sticks.

We had 4 of 5 out from the previous week including our captain again but were still confident our style of play could get the job done.

At quarter time it was not looking great with a 4 to 1 goal first quarter to them and us struggling to get anything happening at all.

They kicked another straight out of quarter time and it was 31 - 7 or something.

No more goals were scored by either team as we just needed to get the game back to evens, which we did.

By shutting down their scoring we still believed were a big chance if we can now get the upper hand in the 3rd quarter, which we did by scoring the first 2 goals pretty early and it was 15pts of so the difference.

By the mid last quarter we were a goal and a bit down and the last 8 or so minutes had been ball up after ball up and a stalemate was going on.

I'd had no influence so far in this game, being on and off as usual as our small forward rotation in a low scoring game.

With 15mins gone in the last quarter and me thinking I probably won't get on in this quarter, the assistance coach (last years senior coach) made the executive decision to get some speed up forward and brought off our back up ruckman for a 40yr old midget.

After 3 - 4mins of stalemate play again I sprung into action.

I spoiled, or stripped their ruckman of a mark from our kickout then managed to smother a kick of theirs going into their forward 50.

2mins or so later on one of their blokes got a loose ball an came at me a million miles an hours and I managed to stick the tackle and take him down - I used to do them all the time but as a deep forward I hadn't done a tackle like that for years so I was happy I was able to make it.

The resultant free kick had me going inside 50 to our 6'6" full forward who drew a free kick fro holding the man, such as the full back coming up to his chin, and he scored a goal to put us 2pts up or so.

We knew there wasn't long to go but we had to set up with the 6-6-6 so we were gonna flood back as soon as the ball up went.

As you can se from the video, Alby got the clearance and the opposition decided to bump instead of tackle him (weird) also falling over in the process.

Alby whipped the handball out to me and I turned and again kicked long into 50 to Mundi who I knew would be close to goal 1on1, so all I had to do was kick it to advantage and he'd do the rest.

He took the mark on the boundary line pretty much but we have very deep pockets so shots from the boundary aren't as bad as normal, he snapped it and we were up by 8pts or whatever.

The siren went not long after and we'd come back from 4 goal to beat the top undefeated team - as food a win as the seniors have had since I've been there.

In those 5mins or so I racked up about 25 Supercoach points and had an influence on us winning the game.

Mundi probably doubled that though as I think he scored 3.1 on his own in the last as well as some other touches - he's a freak that man.

We got the 2nd top team after the break who also gave us a touch up earlier in the year so it doesn't get any easier in the short term.

Videos from Insta below:

No comments:

Post a Comment