AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Local Footy Training Gems from AFL/TAC S&C Coaches Burgo and Matty Part 4/9

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

L/A FOOTY CLUB'S BIGGEST ISSUE IS PROBABLY TRAINING COMPLIANCE, ESPECIALLY WHEN SOME BLOKES WANT TO START PRE-SEASON, SO IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE AND YOU HAD MOST BLOKES ROCKING UP FOR THEIR 1ST TRAINING SESSION IN JANUARY THEN HOW WOULD YOU SCHEDULE THEIR TRAINING WITH ONLY 10 WEEKS OR SO BEFORE PRACTICE GAMES COMMENCE?

BURGO

I would some game based drills straight away.

Forget the running because that will turn players off.

Small sided games and competitive drills that involve running would make up 90% of my training.

WOULD THE HIGH DEMANDS OF CHANGE OF DIRECTION LOADING AS WELL AS POOR AEROBIC SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT (ASSUMED) HINDER SMALL SIDED GAMES AND COMPETITION SKILL DRILLS OR NOT?

Yes it would but that's why you do them.

The games will be compromised but it's certainty more "game like' than doing laps!

MATTY



I think 10 weeks is fine but there's a difference between presenting in some sort of basic condition and clearly rocking up deconditioned.

Hopefully the club culture is strong enough that most of your list is in the first category.

I'm fine with busting your arse through November and December, at L/A level there are different priorities such as spending more time with family, playing Cricket, going fishing or whatever...but be accountable and respectful enough to your club and your teammates to present appropriately.

I'm a fan of Max Aerobic Speed Running which many aren't but I find it easier to condition large groups of varied fitness levels.

I would start slow and let them get a few sessions under the belt and build some momentum and confidence before really pulling the trigger on them.

If you whack them straight up then you'll fond some of them will opt out quickly and only appear the Thursday training before round 1 to just slide into the 2's.

My Summary

As a personal trainer my work hours are 6 - 9am then I'm back from 5:30 - 8pm, so I am not even a January Flyer!

I simply cannot train with my team unless somehow I have a bunch of re-schedules on a Tuesday or Thursday that will allow me to get down to training which will happen maybe once or twice a year.

If we're making finals then I will try my best to get 1 of the training nights off in the lead up and during them for a bit of team harmony and bonding.

That being said my off-season training starts 1 - 2 weeks after the last game of the previous season so even though I don't train with my team, I've trained more then any of them as far as sessions completed is concerned.

Since September 5th I've completed 125 of my own training sessions.

I do this for the same reasons mentioned above by Matty (club/teammates respect) but also because I'm still chasing a premiership before I head off into the Master's footy sunset.

I'm the oldest player at the club by a pretty long way so I need to maintain my body and attributes to keep up with every younger players coming through from my team and the opposition.

Most importantly to hold my spot without training then game days are ultra important because if I perform each Saturday then there's no reason to drop me for "not training", knowing that I'm doing more then enough on my own, and far more then any reserves footballer has ever done!

Coaches need to train blokes who start training a bit different to the main group, maybe pulling them out of drills a bit early when they seem to be blowing up badly as it will increase injury risk for them, and decrease the drill quality for thew rest of the team.

But instead of pulling them out to watch, get them to do something else so they don't feel like they are letting the team down - just some stationary skill work and use it as "active recovery". 

No comments:

Post a Comment