AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Monday, February 27, 2017

Random Training Thoughts Part 1 (Article)


I've linked to this site before because Keir is one of my absolute go to coaches in all of sport, and even though he's Rugby based, the principles behind his writings are applicable to all sports.

This is a 3 part article series from a few years ago that re-shaped a lot of my training idea's and I'll try and simplify them for you right now.

SAME SCORE DIFFERENT NEEDS

- Performance testing can be limited because 2 athletes can get the same score but in 2 very different ways.
- For example I do 5m splits for all my sprints regardless of the distance (10 - 35m) so I have separate time for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35m. What I can see from this is in what zone am I the fastest in for various sprints.
- So if Sam and I both get a 4.70sec 40m sprint time we both look equally as good on paper. Once we get on the ground though it's a completely different story.  Sam has great acceleration and power over 10 - 15m but his reactivness is not his strong suit whereas I am the opposite - I'm a slow starter but a my top max velocity speed is far greater. During a game Sam would wipe the floor with me when breaking away fro a lead up, or bursting out of a pack. On the other hand, poor old Sam is left in the dirt when we play slingshot football and I get to use my top speed to decimate him down the wing.
- As you can see we both registered the same time, but we both need to different training programs to improve.
- The same can be said for aerobic testing as there is far more markers of aerobic fitness then a simple score or distance. You have average heart rate, recovery heart rate, time spend above/below your max aerobic speed, time spend above/below your lactate threshold, all in the same test.
- Again, the same score, but very different training means for individual improvement.

BULLDOGS VS GREYHOUNDS

- I've blogged about this before here and it piggy backs off the previous point a little.
- Sam is the bulldog and I'm the greyhound
- In reality I used to be a bulldog but over the last 2 or so years I've aimed to turn into a greyhound which I am now.

JUMPING

- Sam and I get the same vertical leap score - good for us.
- But Sam being the bulldog needs to use a far deeper knee bend as he takes longer to generate force then I do.
- Me being the greyhound, I use a short and shallower knee bend for my jumps.
- Again to improve, we'd both need to opposing programs.

AFL BULLDOGS

- Joel Selwood, Josh Kennedy, Patrick Cripps, Nat Fyfe, Scott Pendlebury, Jack Viney

AFL GREYHOUNDS

- Lewis Jetta, Jeremy Howe, Gary Rohan, Stephen/Bradley Hill

AFL PERFECT BLENDS

- Patty Dangerfield, Dylan Shiel

The article can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment