AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

PRE-SEASON 2021 STARTS + KICKING PROGRAM

                                                     

Having barely touched a footy since we stopped footy training in February, for the last few months I've been running through a cycle of:

  • Day 1 x Neural Prep Day
  • Day 2 - Sprint Day
  • Day 3 - Recovery Day (X Basketball shot makes in X mins)
  • Day 4 - Upper Body Weights Day

As I'm training for footy I think now is the time to get a footy back in my hands so I've developed my new program for the next 3 - 4 weeks that started yesterday and I'm rolling with the same schedule but the neural day that would normally be 20 sets of 5m starts from various positions is now a "footy day".

I'm using my Rebound Net for an exercise progression to train hand-eye coordination, reaction time and clean hands.

I've made a quick progression of throws that I'll be running through over the next 8 or so weeks being:

Normal Throws

  • 1 and 2 Arm Underarm Horizontal/Vertical Ball Throws into Net and Catch

Handballs

  • Handball into Net and Catch

Partner Throw

  • I'll have Archie throw the ball into the net

Partner Throw Turn and Catch

  • I'll face the opposite way to the net, Archie will call when he throws the ball into the net and I'll turn and catch...or attempt to, we'll see how this one goes!

I'll video each of these as I do them over the coming weeks and I'll do 5 sets of 20 of each.

After that I have a kicking program I've made for myself to train on my own to reintroduce kicking into my training.

Out here in the western suburbs of Melbourne there's a baseball club/field attached to a huge grass area by the bay and they have e old pitching mats against the wire fence to the old batting cage as you can see in the video above.

I've used them for all sorts of kicking target practice in the last few years and I've developed another program around them for this program.

This full kicking program will be added to the training programs section this week.

After that I finish with some footy specific sprints:

You can see a white hat that I sprint to after I kick the footy which is 10m so I can time my sprints and compare them to my sprint day 10m sprints - I did these last week and clocked a couple of sub-2sec 10m sprints which is decent enough for a first try and also the fact that the ball will rarely bounce perfectly forward so that I don't have alter my movement where any in an action where .01sec is crucial, the slightest movement alteration can add time to a 10m sprint quite easily.

I'll be doing 5 x 10m of these with my main sprinting day to follow the next day, acting a neural prior for those.

Look out for the kicking program later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment