AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Monday, February 3, 2020

MAMBA MENTALITY BOOK EXCERPTS


I had this on my to-get list for some time and finally got it 2 days ago and read it all in 1 hit.

Here are my favourite bits:

"...the biggest element that changed over time, however, was I went from watching what was there to watching for what was missing and what should have been there. I went from watching what happened to what could have, and should have, happened..."

"...the only way I was able to pick up details on the court, to be aware of the minutiae on the hardwood, was by training my mind to do that off the court, and focusing on every detail in my daily life. By reading, by paying attention in class and in practice and by working, I strengthened my focus. By doing all of that, I strengthened my ability to be present and not have a wandering mind..."

"...the key, though, is being aware of how you’re feeling and how you need to be feeling. It all starts with awareness..."

"...lot of people say they want to be great, but they’re not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve greatness. They have other concerns, whether important or not, and they spread themselves out too much..."

"...there’s something about being in a big arena when no one else is there. It gives me a sense of nirvana and also prepares me for the game. When I jogged out of the tunnel and the fans were screaming and it’s loud, the noise didn’t impact me. Mentally, I was able to remember the stillness of the earlier moment and carry that with me..."

"...over the course of my career, Gary and I alternated the tape jobs on my ankles. The decision was dependent on where, physically, my ankles were that year. Some years, the focus was on stability, so I’d use all white tape. Other times, when my ankles felt stable and solid on their own, I’d use a more elastic tape, which allowed for more spring and movement..."

"...but the ankle was so bad that, to be honest, I couldn’t hoop much that summer. What I did do, though, was take up tap dancing. That’s right: tap dancing. That was my worst sprain, but it certainly wasn’t my first. I realized at that point I needed to be proactive about strengthening my ankles. After researching the matter, it became apparent that tap dancing was going to be the best way to build up my ankle strength while simultaneously improving my foot speed and rhythm. So I hired an instructor and started going to the studio. I worked on it all of that summer and benefited for the rest of my career..."

"...I learned a lot from studying and watching Muhammad Ali. One of the main takeaways was that you have to work hard in the dark to shine in the light..."

"...I learned an incalculable amount from him. Tex, specifically, taught the process of the game. He taught the pure craft of it. He focused on the details, flow, and nuances of the game. He was able to bring the littlest details to life and show their ultimate importance..."

"...I made a point of reading the referee’s handbook. One of the rules I gleaned from it was that each referee has a designated slot where he is supposed to be on the floor. If the ball, for instance, is in place W, referees X, Y, and Z each have an area on the court assigned to them. When they do that, it creates dead zones, areas on the floor where they can’t see certain things. I learned where those zones were, and I took advantage of them. I would get away with holds, travels, and all sorts of minor violations simply because I took the time to understand the officials’ limitations..."

"...I made every second of the national anthem count. During those precious moments, I’m hearing all the little sounds and imbibing the energy of the arena. I’m taking the opportunity to be aware of what’s going on, to be aware of the teammates around me, the basket in front of me, the basket behind me, all the other sounds and objects. It’s a full concentration and understanding of the arena. In essence, I’m trying to feel the energy of the environment and allow it to move through me. That then propels me and fuels me to have a great performance..."

"...I liked challenging people and making them uncomfortable. That’s what leads to introspection and that’s what leads to improvement. You could say I dared people to be their best selves. That approach never wavered. What I did adjust, though, was how I varied my approach from player to player. I still challenged everyone and made them uncomfortable, I just did it in a way that was tailored to them. To learn what would work and for who, I started doing homework and watched how they behaved. I learned their histories and listened to what their goals were. I learned what made them feel secure and where their greatest doubts lay. Once I understood them, I could help bring the best out of them by touching the right nerve at the right time..."

"...here, I’m locking up his right arm off of the dribble. If he picks up the ball, I’m going to yank at his arm a little bit but enough for him to feel it. Tricks of the trade that the ref can’t see. Then, his battle would be with the officials instead of with me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment